Thursday, June 28, 2012

After 9 months in Az..en route to Bangkok! [Part 1]

(written 6/26/12) I landed in Doha around 7:30, and even though it's totally dark, it's hot. 39 degrees celsius. This crowd of people at the airport seems to be the most diverse mass of people I've ever seen. I overheard a man speaking Azeri as I got off the plane and reminded myself that's probably the last time I'll be hearing that for a while. I passed a woman wearing a niqab and suddenly become very conscious of my bare legs. She's looking at me, but I can't read her expression. I can only see her eyes. A young Saudi girl approached me holding her mothers blinged out iPhone and asked me for help sending a text message. A man approaches me in line and asks me a question in Russian.I had to stop myself from responding, "I don't speak Russian!" in Azeri. There were multiple English speakers on the tram that took us from the plane to the terminal. Stop staring, Annie, stop staring! I wanted to ask them all who they were, where they were coming from and where they were going. I can't remember, or rather, I cant imagine how I would be feeling right now if I were sitting in this same seat but had flown here from America rather than Azerbaijan. It would be different. I keep scanning the herds of euro-looking travellers thinking I should recognise at least one of these white people!

1 comment: