Monday, November 14, 2011
Çox Cups of Tea
Yesterday, I drank 6 cups of tea. This is no record (not
that I’m keeping track!), and on Azeri standards, 6 cups of tea in one day is
probably sub-par. Upon arrival in Azerbaijan, I started drinking tea with my host family to be polite. It’s also a very appropriate way to socialize. I didn’t particularly love drinking
the tea itself, but I appreciated having this gateway into broken conversation
with my family, relatives and guests. As time went on, I stopped wishing the tea in my glass would magically turn into coffee, and I began looking forward
to the times when tea would be served. I enjoyed experimenting with the
assortment of jams, sugar cubes, and cadies served at the same time. Now, with
winter temperatures setting in, I enjoy drinking tea the most because it
provides warmth to my body in places where the heat from our petch can’t reach.
It’s more of a survival tool. And when yesterday, a group of 10 TEFLS ordered
three pots of tea at the place we went to hang out at after our technical
session, I felt that maybe I wasn’t the only one beginning to really appreciate
Azerbaijan’s tea culture.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Love hearing about your growing appreciation for the culture over there, you're becoming a true Azeeri woman!
ReplyDelete